Thursday, May 20, 2010

One Year In

I've lived in Texas for a whole year! So far I've only...

-dented my car door with the neighbor's truck
-knocked off my front bumper
-been yelled at by one parent
-been hit on by 1 man over the age of 60
-eaten fried pickles and crawfish twice
-recorded one country record
-said "might could" once
-wore an Aggie class ring once
-ridden in the back of a pickup truck once
-danced a wild polka with a 50 year man once
-and bought only one pair of cowboy boots and NO HAT.

For a whole year in Texas, I think that's pretty impressive.

Things I have managed to do:

Learned to salsa dance much better
Become a runner!
survived my first year as a teacher
painted my apartment wall as a chalkboard
Introduced my students to African hip-hop and indie-rock
Learned how to have cute hair in the humidity
got comfortable driving on huge highways
still ride my bike once in a while
fell in love with the cute mexican percussionist at taco milagro
sang karaoke taylor swift to my 5th graders
Taught from atop a desk or sitting on the floor
Cried while reading out loud to my students about the Holocaust
Got kids who have never passed Reading EVER to pass
Got a Texas driver's license
and...made curtains for my apartment.

On the to do list:
-get a tat
-buy a vacuum
-talk to the guy at taco milagro

In all seriousness though, one year in to Texas life I'm content. I have a wonderful support system, I love my job, and I'm learning to know God...know Him, not just know about Him. I'd like a close with a quote that speaks to my heart:

"You may all go to hell, but I will go to Texas"
-Davy Crockett

(Just kidding about the speaking to my heart part)

I really did set out to write a serious post, I guess it's just not in me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lacy, I am really upset that a parent yelled at you. I just can't wrap my brain around it.

I really enjoy reading your life.

Amy Stackler

Megan said...

Lace face. I love this post. I want to know more of the stories behind these highlights! haha. You have a lovely colorful life. Love to you.

Megan