Monday, September 27, 2010

Are you a Christian? OR...do you celebrate Halloween?

I was really excited about fall last night, so I bought a pumpkin for my classroom. Little did I know how much trouble that thing would cause me.

7:40am: First of all, pumpkins are heavy, and since I always have about 5 things to carry in from my car, it was very difficult. After this awesome twisty spin move where I almost threw out my back, I managed to hold on to my pumpkin all the way in from the parking lot and up the stairs to my classroom. Thankfully, there were some girls waiting outside my room so they held the pumpkin while I unlocked the door. Whew, pumpkin successfully carried in to Rm. 30.

7:45 am: the rest of the kids march upstairs and start getting things from their lockers. All of them start commenting on the pumpkin. "Miss! you got a pumpkin? Are we going to carve it? How much does it weigh? Where did you buy it? Can I keep it? Can I hold it? Is it real?"

7:50am: Students are seated in the class eating their breakfast. I have not had time to eat my breakfast yet. (bad thing for me if you know me at all) A student from the back of the room raises his hand and says, "Miss Maxwell, are you a Christian?" We've been talking a lot about religion lately because it keeps coming up in stories we're reading in class. So I said yes. He instantly shoots back at me, "Well, if you celebrate Halloween, then you're not a Christian."

Boom. the end. Because I brought a pumpkin to school, I no longer am allowed to be a Christian. Let this be a warning to you: you shall go to hell and burn in hell fires if you bring a pumpkin to school.

Just sayin...

No comments: